Sunday, September 21, 2008

Big Changes

I've got some good news and some bad news.



The bad news is that we have to move again, sooner than we had expected.



The good news is that we are moving to Las Vegas because Mike has been accepted as a transfer student at UNLV starting Spring semester 2009. He'll start classes Jan 20th but we'll need to stay behind for a couple of weeks so I can fulfil my year contract at the hospital (it ends February 3rd). That way I won't have to pay back the bonus money they gave us. We still have many details to work out: such as where I'll work; how we'll get out of the contract for our current lease on the house; who will watch the kids while I'm at work in Massachusetts and Mike is at school in Las Vegas; and how he'll get back to help load up everything for the move, etc.

I'm still having a hard time with the idea of the move. Even though it will be nice to be closer to home, I just wasn't ready to end my time in New England. There are still many things I wanted to experience while here. Not to mention the fact that we are FINALLY feeling settled in here. I really love this house! I just got my scrap room all set up a week before Mike got the letter. I finally found a good violin teacher that Chelsea likes and got Brianna all set up with dance and piano. The kids were settling into school. I really love our ward and I even have a few friends at work. All the leaves are starting to turn colors and it is really beautiful here. I love having 4 seasons.

But even though my heart isn't ready to accept it, I know that it's a good move for our family. UNLV is a top tier school while WNEC is a 4th tier school, which helps with initial job opportunities and career advancement. We will be closer to family and friends. He will be able to have internships that will help him make contacts and build a reputation out there which is really important since he wants to work in Utah. He has had interviewers and mentors here tell him that he'll have a hard time getting a really good internship out here because they only hire people that they could keep after they graduate or are looking for people who are planning on living in the area.

He actually got accepted as a transfer student earlier in the summer, but we decided to turn it down because we had just moved into this house and I didn't want to move again, plus all the reasons stated above. But ever since he has started school he has had the nagging feeling like we made a mistake. He went out on a limb and contacted the school again to see if they would consider allowing him to come in the Spring. That's when we got the letter that said they would still accept him. It's highly unusual for a law school to accept someone after three semesters of full-time law school. So, I'm sure it is a blessing in disguise.

Then we couldn't decide whether to live in St. George or Las Vegas. If we lived in St. George then Mike would have to commute to LV Monday morning and come home Thursday night. He'd have to find a room to rent while he was down there and I would have to work every weekend so we would never see each other. Plus, I didn't want to be a part time single mom. We decided it would be better for everyone if he was home every night and we were together. But that means I get to start all over finding doctors, dentists, dance, violin, job, etc. But I do hope to come up maybe once a month to work a couple shifts at DRMC and keep my spot there. That will also allow the kids and myself to see friends more often.

So the moral of the story: Just when you think you have life all figured out - things get turned upside down. And once you set up your scrapbook stuff - you'll have to pack it up again. (this also happened when we lived in our previous house). I don't think I'll set it up in Las Vegas just so we can stay in one place for a while.

p.s. Does anyone know anything about the hospitals in Vegas? I don't think I want to work at any of the big ones in the middle of town but I don't know much about the other ones.

4 comments:

Sleepless In St. George said...

do you hear that? It is the choir of angels singing! Yeah....I am so excited! I will get Nancy Linde's email to you...she works in the hospital in Vegas....and I can contact my friends that live in Vegas if you want...maybe they can tell you where to live, etc.! Lindz is from Vegas, so she is a big resource! We can hardly wait! Want me to come pack you up?!

Melissa said...

Seriously? Never a dull moment for you--Glad to hear you are coming back, but totally understand the mixed feelings. I would love the opportunity to live outside of Utah and experience different parts of the country. As far as hospitals go--I think the one in Summerlin is your best bet. :) Autumn Cuff lives in Vegas and works in PACU at Dixie a couple of times a month--I can get her contact info if you want.

Colby & Brenda said...

i cannot tell you how excited i am. scrapbook expo 2009 here we come!!! yeah!!! I will see if i can get barney's number from kristi and you can get in touch with him or janet too.. B

The EZ Life said...

You really didn't want to be YW President, did you!!
I'm so excited you are moving back to the desert, but after visiting my Mom and Dad, I understand how hard it will be to leave New England. Good Luck with everything!!