Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Astoria


Our first road trip in Oregon was up to Astoria. It's the oldest city in the west and reminded me a lot of New England because of the old victorian style houses there on the coast. We first went to a Maritime museum. It was all about boats and life on the coast in Astoria. For some reason they didn't allow pictures inside but I snuck 2 because Mason loved this huge gun and wanted to show his daddy. But they did have a boat outside that we got to go down inside and see what life would be like living on a boat.

After we had a picnic lunch, we hopped on the river front trolley. It goes along the coast and tells us about Astoria. After driving up and down the steep roads (like San Francisco) we headed up to the Astoria Column. We climbed 164 steps to see an amazing view of the town. Cord got totally freaked out on the top. It was super high. We got a great view of the Astoria bridge, which is the longest bridge in America. It's about 4 1/2 miles long. When we drove on it, I'll have to admit that I was kind of freaked out. It's really high so I had to focus on the yellow lines on the road. I kept imagining us falling off into the river. I didn't mind the length, just the height which is odd for me. The kids loved it though as I kept my fears deep inside. After we got to the end I was relieved, only to realize that we would have to drive back over to get home. UGGH! But we survived and it still made a great memory.





















No comments: