Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 4th Celebration

Having a scout in the house means we start holidays out at 6:00 AM.  He has the pleasure of putting up flags in the neighborhood.  Good for him :).  Then I took the kids out to Summerlin because I had heard about a fabulous parade that they have out there.  They promised "Macy's style balloons", cartoon characters, big floats, etc.  We got there early and got a decent spot, until I realized that the street has a divider and all the enteries went down the side opposite of us.  The weather started out really nice - cool and overcast.  But then it started to get really hot.  We saw a lot of kids on bikes, old cars, political people we didn't know or care about, etc.  We did see a few fun big balloons but for the most part, it didn't live up to what we expected.  There were also long pauses in the parade so the kids started getting restless.  After a lot of complaining, we finally left.  At least we beat the traffic out of there.




We were invited to join several families from our ward out to Boulder City for a BBQ and to watch the fireworks.  We got there late because we were working on the house but the kids quickly found friends and enjoyed being together.  The wagon was a big hit with the kids, especially Cord. 




 Mason was feeling a little anti-social and just wanted to sit by himself and play his DS. But he did join the family when we were watching fireworks. 




Art that I call - Glo-sticks in motion.  Good thing my friend, Jen, brought these and shared them with the kids.  When the lights went out before the show started, we couldn't find Cord.  I knew he had a green and yellow glow stick on and that's how we were able to find him.


The fireworks show was awesome.  Sitting there in the ballfield watching them, I was reminded of St. George when it was much smaller.  The only thing missing was my dad's homemade ice cream. They had the finale where they light off a bunch, but then the fireworks just kept getting bigger and bigger until they filled up the whole sky.  AWESOME!  The only bad thing about the night was the traffic getting out but it was totally worth it to be hanging with cool people and see a fun show.   



When we got home, Daddy light a few fireworks out front.  Then the kids did a few sparklers before we called it a night.  The night was a lot of fun.






I love to take pics of the sparklers in motion.  It's always fun to see the shapes they create. 







No comments: