Thursday, February 23, 2012

Discoveries

I've discovered a couple things about myself over the past couple days. First of all I have to admit to myself that I CAN'T SEW! While at my parents house, I had a couple simple projects that I had hoped to accomplish with my mom's sewing machines. Now I have to note here that my mom is a super seamstress. She has won competitions with her quilts. When I was young, she did her best to try and teach me her skills, but they did not rub off at all. Chelsea even noted (with a smirk) that it's amazing that even a little bit of my mom's skills didn't rub off onto me.  I'm trying to sew some simple curtains to replace some of the ugly lace things that are hanging in my windows. It looks simple enough but I nothing that I was doing was right. I was also trying to work on a headboard, but with the first cut, I had totally messed it up. I can't even cut right! But I decided to keep trying. I wasn't going to let it beat me. Before we moved to Mass, my mom had enrolled Chelsea in a sewing class and bought her a simple machine in the hopes that maybe the family honor could be regained. We have had this machine packed up since the move (5 years ago). So when we got back to Vegas tuesday night, I asked Mike to dig it out and I was determined to try again. On Wednesday I struggled all day with the stupid thing only to realize that I had messed up again with my measurements. I give up!
I wanted to give it one last try. Today I went out and got more material, measured 3 times, and then carefully made my cuts. I was able to at least get something that is decent and doesn't look to bad in the window. Just don't look very close at it because I'm not winning any awards with this project.
Another thing I realized today is that, I LOVE BEING A MOM! I'm so grateful for this time off to "recover" from my surgery. I'm feeling better every day and finally got clearance to drive. I'm loving having time to spend with my kids, run errands, and be there for them. I love sleeping at night and putting my kids to bed with a story, hug, and kiss. I feel like I have more patience with my kids and with life in general. I love having time to do homework with them or just talk to them about their day without being rushed. I love not having to work around my crazy schedule when making appointments, etc. I love having a routine. I love having the afternoons to hang out with Cord and do fun crafty things. Today we colored this crazy leprechaun mask. He's doing so good with his coloring and I love talking about his day at school. But what am I going to do??? It's not like I can quit my job. It's expensive to raise a family. All I can do is pray that something happens to allow me to cut down to part time and go to day shift. All I can do is PRAY and trust that the Lord will help us out so I can be a better mom for my kids before it's too late! Meanwhile, enjoy these pics of a cute little leprechaun!

No comments: