Saturday, February 13, 2010

Speech eval


We have recognized for a while that Cord is not speaking as well as kids his age. He sure babbles all day long, we just have no idea what he is saying. I know that he knows what he is trying to tell us because he'll say the same thing over and over. For the most part we can communicate by guessing and having him say yes or no, but often he gets frustrated and just screams. I can only imagine how it would be to not be able to tell someone what you need. I started writing down all the words that he can say but then got confused because sometimes he'll say something like "glick" which I know means "milk" but no one else would, so would that qualify as a "word"? I finally decided that it did. Here's the few words that we can understand:

Momma, Daddy, NO, yes, ow-ouch, off, on, bye, car, cheese, night, I DO IT, show, shoes, juice, milk, church, sissy, snack, eyes, you, some, gum, bubble, ball, gym, star, Diego, stop, go, outside, park, duck, goose, peek-a-boo, snow, trash, please, thank you, excuse me, fish, kitty, woof woof, choo-choo, hat, school, roll, hot, eggs, and "my spot".

That's only 50 words for a 3 year old. Most 3 year olds are talking in complete sentences by now and you can't shut them up. We have been in the process of getting help and are now in "the system" which can be a frustrating ride. We started with a referral for speech therapy from our doctor, only to be told that the speech clinic he referred us to is not covered by insurance unless there has been an acute reason that speech is lost (like a stroke, etc). We were then referred to the school district's "child find" system. I called them and was told that in 4-6 weeks someone would call me to make an appointment. We finally heard from them but the only times they do evaluations are after school - my busiest time of the day. We finally got in but ended up being 20 min late because I had to pick up brianna from her preformance at a game, run her to dance, and then go back to the school for the speech eval. That evaluation took about 2 hours as he rotated through all the stations that test not only speech, but general development and health. From that we were told that we needed to come back for a more extensive speech eval and had a referral for a hearing evaluation. I called to schedule the hearing test only to be told that they were in the process of moving and not doing any testing right now. I have to call back the 2nd week of March just to schedule the test. I'm pretty sure that Cord will be in Kindergarten before we even get any work done. It's just frustrating having to jump through their hoops and have it take FOREVER to get anything done. But what other options do we have?

No comments: