Thursday, February 7, 2008

Welcome to Baystate!



So this is where I'll be working for the next couple of years. The building is very interesting and luckily isn't as old looking on the inside. It does have a couple of old cool looking waiting areas though. The place where our classes are held used to be the very old nursing school (the kind where the nurses lived there during school). They are going to be tearing down a large section very soon and rebuild it for a cardiac tower to be completed in 2012. Too bad I won't be here to see it.

I finally started orientation and I guess you could say it is interesting. I have been sitting from 8:00 am until 4-5 pm listening to "stuff". The first day we listened to 6 hours of "what are your values?", "these are Baystate's values", "How do your values match those of Baystate?", blah, blah, blah. Most of the stuff they are teaching us, even the teacher admits is boring but she has to teach it because of JCAHO. I guess they are having a surprise inspection sometime this year and they want everyone to be ready. I understand that, but it doesn't make it any easier to sit through. They have really hammered in their motto - "to improve the health of the community everyday with quality and compassion". I think it's pretty sad that I can quote that after a couple days of being an employee, but I can't tell you what IHC's mission statement is. But after hearing it day in and day out I feel like choking someone with "quality and compassion"!

Although it only takes about 10 minutes to drive to baystate, it takes about 20 min to find a parking spot. Mainly because employees are required to park in a couple different lots about 1/2 - 1 mile away from the hospital. Then we sit and wait for the bus to come around and pick us up. It's still hard for me to gauge when I need to leave factoring in the rush hour traffic and bus schedule. When I work on nights I will be allowed to park on the campus. But for the next couple of months I get to ride the bus.

Through all these orientation classes and any meetings you go to, you are not allowed to wear jeans. You have to wear business casual or scrubs. I think that is funny because when I wear my scrubs I feel like I'm wearing pj's. Luckily Shari Kay has dressed me appropriately for business and I have several stylin' options to choose from.

Next week I have classes all day mon and tues, then I have computer training wed and thurs for about 4 hours each day. Thursday after the computer classes I will go up to the floor and work for the last half of the shift so I can get all my hours in. They have very strict rules about when you clock in and out. Even though I'm there early because I don't know how to gauge the parking/ bus thing, the earliest I can clock in is 7 min before the class starts. Plus when I'm at work, even if my patient is crashing, I must clock out no later than 7 min after my shift ends unless I have special permission from the charge nurse. (more rules!!!!) I will be working day shift for my 12 weeks of orientation (unless they decide I don't need that much time and take me off early :) I will be glad when I only have to go to work 3 days a week instead of all day for 5 days.

2 comments:

Linz said...

Wow, that's a cool looking building!! Hope orientation goes smoothly and quickly!

Shari Kay said...

Well I'm glad to hear that your crazy old friend has helped you in your dressing for success. Just let Mike know that you may need to fly here for the weekend so we can get you some more clothes to get you through orientation...He could go for it!!! Just remember it will only take them 1 day to realize you don't need 3 months on days. Hang in there and check your email.