Mike's law company has a mandatory retreat every summer. This year it was held in San Deigo at The Grand Del Mar. It's the nicest hotel I've ever seen. We took Brianna down with us so she could spend time with Kennedy because we were so close to them. While Mike gets to go to a few boring meetings, the girls and I got to play and enjoy the area. The boys were in St. George for a week with cousins and Chelsea had to stay home to take the ACT test.
Friday morning, Mike went for a 40 mile ride along the beach. It's been over 20 years since he's been able to do that in San Diego (since his mission). He was the only one that got to get close to the ocean on this vacation.
While Mike went on his bike ride Friday, I took the Brianna and Kennedy shopping in downtown Encinitias and hit their favorite vintage shops. We also had lunch together at Brianna's favorite hamburger joint down there, Angelo's.
After shopping, I took the girls over to the Hotel to let them check it out. They loved hanging out and Brianna kept saying "I'm pretending that I'm rich". It's nice to play pretend sometimes, I agree.
The girls hanging out by the pool. But we never found time to get in.
This pavilion was where we got to have breakfast saturday morning while enjoying the nice California weather. On the lawn where they are setting up chairs is where they held the mandatory boche ball tournament. I got out in the first round. Mike, however, went all the way to the finals. Because the hotel was rushing us to finish so they could set up for this wedding, he was robbed of the win. Guess he'll have to try again next year.
On Saturday after the tournament, we picked up the girls and headed up to Julian. Mike had remembered some awesome bread from when he lived in San Deigo. It was made at this bakery. Dudleys was on the way up to Julian and has been rated one of the best bakery's in the nation. We had to stop. We also picked up lots of different kinds of breads to try. Our favorite was the Hawaiian sweet bread.
Saturday night, Kennedy had plans so Brianna got to hang out in our room and watch a movie. Meanwhile, Mike and I got to go to the fancy dinner. I took a couple pictures to send her to make her jealous. The desserts are always fantastic.
On Sunday, before we headed home, we stopped at the Mormon Battalion Visitor Center because Mike had not been there since his mission and it had changed so much. We also took time to explore some of the old homes around the area. In all the times we had been there, I hadn't noticed these homes. I love old architecture.
Other pics I found on-line of the awesome hotel.















No comments:
Post a Comment