
It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since that day when America was attacked by terrorists. It's one of those events that people will always remember where they were and what they were doing. I just wanted to write down a few of my memories of that day.
I had worked a night shift on Sept 10th. I came home the morning of the 11th and was getting kids ready for school. My neighbor, Karolyn Davis, called me on the phone and said that something big was happening and that I needed to turn on my TV. I was so tired. All I could think about was getting the kids to school so I could go to sleep so I didn't even bother with the news. When I woke up, I saw a text from Mike to call him as soon as I could. What's important to note here is that just a few weeks before this, he had signed papers to enlist in the Army. He was committed to serve for the next 4 years. It was a decision that I struggled with but was willing to let him try. I called when I woke up and was confused as he tried to explain what had happened in New York and what that would mean for our family. I turned on the TV and just sat on the couch numb as I watched the events replay again and again. I had to go back to work that night. I remember that every TV in the pt's rooms was turned on to the coverage. I was taking care of an intubated, sedated patient and was also taking note of the news coverage. As the night wore on, I became more sick at the thought of my husband being shipped off to fight a war and me being left behind to raise 3 small children.
The following week I remember the sense of American pride that spread throughout the country. I was on the Life-flight team during that time that all the flights were grounded. A few days after 911 they decided that it was OK to let the medical flights in the air. During one flight the pilot let us listen to the air waves. It was eerily quiet. We were the only ones in the sky. Evidence that things were about to drastically change.
Mike did go on to be shipped off for his basic training which was a very emotional time for me and for him. Luckily an old shoulder injury began to give him big problems and after 9 weeks he was medically discharged. I now have a brother who is currently in Iraq serving our country as a result of what happened today. It's nice to take a minute to pause and think about all that was lost and won as a result of this moment and how lives have been changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment