Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What's in a name??


The name "Ord" traces back as far as the 11th or 12th century when the ords of Ords were Lords of the Township of Ord. In it's early days "Ord" was a salmon 'weir' or fishery on the Tweed River which flows into the North Sea.

My Grandma "Ordella Ord Mathews" has loved her unique name. She was the 3rd girl and her dad was afraid that the "Ord" name was going to be lost so he took the Ord name and combined it with his sister's name "Ella". Grandma has begged all of us grandkids to name someone after her but hasn't had any takers. Before we found out we were pregnant with our 4th child, we came up with the name "Cord" to honor her and to carry on the Ord name. We were pleasently surprised with not only another child, but a boy. Grandma was very pleased. We added the middle name "Mathew" to honor both her and my grandpa. I asked grandma to write a letter to Cord so he could know how important his name was. She shared this information and the following story.

"I have always like my name, because it's different, and so am I. I loved to climb trees. I could climb this one tree and climb onto the garage and then jump to the ground. We had this other tree where I would climb up and dream. The thing I would dream the most of was that I could fly. I wanted to fly so bad it would hurt. I was always dreaming I could fly, why couldn't I fly for real?

My two wicked (well not really) sisters knew of my great obsessions about flying, so they came to me one day and told me they knew how I could fly. Can you imagine what happiness this brought me? I asked them how. They told me to stand out in the backyard (we wouldn't want the neighbors to see what an idion their sister was out there flapping her arms). 'Just keep flapping your arms until you feel like you are ready to fly'. 'How will I land?' i asked. I was worried about hurting myself. They said they would stand out there with a blanket and hold it out and catch me. I really believed this would work. So the big day came and I went outside and started to flap my arms. It was on a Monday, because my mother always washed dthe clothes on Monday. Everytime she came out to hang up the clothes there I was flapping my arms. She would give me a queer look and go to get more clothes. (She was used to me doing queer things). But after about the third time she asked me what in the world I was doing?. She was so upset when I told her. She told me "you can't fly." And then she went in to deal with my sisters.

My arms were so tired.

But you know Cord, Heavenly Father gave a little blond haired, flue eyed, naive girl a miracle. One day i was sitting up in the tree by the house. I could climb quite high up into the tree and I could even jump onto the house, but had no way to get down. i couldn't get back to the tree and it was too far to jump down. There i wasw day dreaming about how wonderful it would be if I could fly, when i felt impressed to spread my arms and jump down, but something wonderful happened, I FLEW DOWN TO THE GROUND!

I can still remember what if felt like, it was the most wonderful feeling I have ever known and I will never forget it. I was ecstatiic; I went running into the house shouting I CAN FLY, I CAN FLY. (It's a wonder they didn't lock me up). Come see! Come see! I shouted. My mother and sister came outside ad watched me climb the tree. This was my great moment; I held my breath, spread my arms, and jumped. You know what happened? Nothing, I climb up the tree again only to just jump to the ground. My flying days were over.

Cord, what a bunddle of joy you are. The first time Iheld you I felt so much love. I also felt the presence of your great grandfather Mathews. You are the lucky one. The one to carry the ORD name plus the MATHEWS name. So carry them proudly and remember if anyone asks about your name, don't say you were named after a crazy old grandmother who thought she could fly, but a sweet young at heart grandmother who was proud of her name."

No comments: