Sunday, July 20, 2008

Family

These wonderful people are my grandma and grandpa Alldredge (my dad's parents). They have been such a big part of my life growing up. They have always been so supportive of our family. They have always been there for weddings, birthdays, graduations, holiday celebrations, and family dinners. Growing up I remember that it was part of our Sunday routine to go and visit grandma/ pa. We would sit in the front room and listen to grandpa's stories, or go play out back with other cousins there to visit. My grandpa used to have farm animals on the back property. We loved to scout around for chicken feathers. There was also this amazing 4 seated swing in the back that would go around like a merry go round. When it came time to leave, you had to move fast or Grandpa would get you and hold you down as my parents would head out the door to leave. There were several occasions that I remember having to rescue a sibbling from grandpa only to get caught in his trap myself. Grandma always had sugar cookies in her fridge for us to eat. She made the best cookies. And quite often their house smelled like homemade bread.
Every year we would have an Alldredge reunion and go camping somewhere. This year is the first one we have missed in a long time. My grandpa grew up on the Arizona strip and had all kinds of stories about his childhood (you know, walking up hill to school both ways, etc). One year we went camping on the strip at the old school house and he made all us grandkids walk to where his house used to be. I'll admit it was a pretty long walk, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't snow on the arizona strip.
Every chance they get, they bare their testimony to us. They are such a good example. They both have served many hours in the temple. I remember going to do baptisms for the dead with my youth group, and there would be grandpa. Or I would go to do a session and see grandma there. She would always give me a hug. They are always together and you can see how much they love each other. I have always loved to see them dancing together. I feel so lucky that they are such a big part of my life.

For family home evening, we went to the St. George temple visitor center. Then we walked around the temple together. How grateful I am that my parents were married in the temple, raised me with the gospel so that I could marry my eternal love in the temple. How grateful I am for the ties that bind us all together for eternity. Its hard to not be so close to family at this time, but I do cherish every moment that we spend together. Hopefully time will go by fast and we'll be back in Utah before we know it. Meanwhile, I am grateful for the things we do get to experience out here. Or at least I should say that I don't completly hate it out here. But don't worry, I don't see how I could ever love it enough to stay out here for good. The whole time we were in Utah I kept calling Mike and telling him how good it was to be back HOME!

No comments: